Sometimes the best dishes are the ones that take you under 10 minutes to make, but still cause you to dance around the kitchen shouting, “Omg, this is SO good!” in between mouthfuls. Before getting reminded that your excited eating habits need to be worked on so the heimlich doesn’t become necessary. But sometimes these things cannot be controlled. I’ll work on it though.
These mini breakfast tacos are the perfect mid-week breakfast, weekend brunch, after school snack, quick dinner and picnic staple. Okay, maybe not the last one. But for everything else this dish is up for the job.
I like to add some creaminess to my scrambled eggs by adding a little cream cheese. It’s a great trick someone taught me years ago. It doesn’t impart the cream cheese flavor on the eggs, it just makes them creamy and fluffy.
How easy is this dish? Well let’s see, you first put some cheese on a few corn tortillas and heat in the microwave. Meanwhile scramble up some eggs. Top the cheesy softened tortillas with the fluffy eggs and any other toppings on hand, including salsa, avocado, sour cream, peppers and onions. Done!
These mini breakfast tacos are so easy it’s dangerous. How can breakfast tacos be dangerous? Because you can make so many of them that while you’re chomping away and exclaiming in delight how good they are you might require the heimlich. So eat responsibly folks.
- 2 corn tortillas
- ⅓ cup shredded cheese (cheddar, monterey jack and pepper jack are all great options)
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- Salt, pepper and a sprinkling of any other favorite seasonings (I like to sprinkle on some garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cumin)
- Salsa, avocado and any other desired toppings
- Place the corn tortillas on a plate and sprinkle the shredded cheese over top. Set aside for now.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once melted add the beaten eggs, cream cheese and seasonings. Let the eggs cook a little then begin to scramble them, making sure to flip them over and break them up often so they remain light and fluffy without getting crispy.
- Meanwhile heat the cheese-topped tortillas in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- When the eggs have cooked through and are still fluffy (I like to take mine off as soon as they look cooked through) remove from the heat and divide over the top of the two cheesy tortillas.
- Top with salsa, avocado or whatever other toppings you like.